"There's nothing to match curling up with a good book

when there's a repair job to be done

around the house."

Joe Ryan

******

Sunday

"Returning to earth" by Jim Harrison


“I'm laying here talking to Cynthia because that's about all I can do with my infirmity. We're living in Cynthia's old house in Marquette in order to be close to the doctors. Her brother David usually lives here but he's off taking a look at different parts of the world but mostly Mexico. Cynthia and I ran away in our teens and got married and now she's back where she started. My dad, Clarence, did the yard work for her family for about thirty years. My bed is in her father's den because it's too hard for me to get upstairs. One wall of the den is full of books with a moving ladder to get to the top shelves. Cynthia says her brother lives inside these books and never really got out. I'm forty-five and it seems I'm to leave earth early but these things happen to people.”
I'll tell you more tomorrow but it's a great Harrison...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow - my interest is definitley piqued!
I just finished The Porecelain Dove which is about France (sort of - mostly as background) during the revolution...really enjoyed it. It's also a bit (ok, a lot) of a fairy tale, which always works for me.