"There's nothing to match curling up with a good book

when there's a repair job to be done

around the house."

Joe Ryan

******

Wednesday

Incredible Doris...a few quotes...


Nobel Prize for Doris Lessing...
After she found out she had won the prize, she told reporters outside her home "I've won all the prizes in Europe, every bloody one, so I'm delighted to win them all. It's a royal flush."

In 1982 she wrote on the New York Times:
"What the feminists want of me is something they haven't examined because it comes from religion. They want me to bear witness. What they would really like me to say is, 'Ha, sisters, I stand with you side by side in your struggle toward the golden dawn where all those beastly men are no more.' Do they really want people to make oversimplified statements about men and women? In fact, they do. I've come with great regret to this conclusion."
This sentence i love: "I have found it to be true that the older I 've become, the better my life has become"...
and this text:
"With a library you are free, not confined by temporary political climates. it is the most democratic of institutions because no one_ but no one at all_ can tell you what to read and when and how"...

1 comment:

Gledwood said...

I've still got The Golden Notebook... I know it's a reallyl good book but not yet read!

I saw her live once at an authors' forum thing... very good... I'm glad they finally gave that prize to someone I've heard of!