"There's nothing to match curling up with a good book

when there's a repair job to be done

around the house."

Joe Ryan

******

Tuesday



When I feel tired, a bit depressed (or a lot !) I love reading detective novels...I last discovered Ian Pears...


He was born in Coventry in 1955. Educated at Wadham College, Oxford, he has worked as a journalist, an art historian and a television consultant. He is the author of seven highly praised detective novels, a book of art history and countless articles on artistic, financial and historical subjects...


I read six of his books:
-The dream of Scipio
-The Raphaël affair
-Giotto's hand
-The Titian committee
-The Bernini bust
-The last judgement
I chose the stories with Flavia di Stephano and Jonathan Argyll...the first works with General Bottando in the art department of the Roman police...when a picture is stolen, when a museum has a problem, they inquire...Jonathan is at first an English student, rather whimsical...
It's light, well written, bad ones aren't always punished...some are really bad ones, their death isn't a real problem, some aren't so bad so...You discover Italy, Rome and famous painters in the background...
It's quite nice for long winter evenings...

2 comments:

TammyVitale said...

Mousie - dropping by to wish you very merry holidays with much cheer and lots of eggnog (or soynog in my case)and what you love around you. It has been a grand pleasure sharing this year with you and your village! I look forward woth 08 with great anticipation. hugs!

Rowan said...

I haven't come across Ian Pears, must look for his books, they sound good. I love detective stories. Happy New Year Mousie!