"There's nothing to match curling up with a good book

when there's a repair job to be done

around the house."

Joe Ryan

******

Tuesday

Theodore Monod

Theodore Monod, do you find a spiritual dimension in the desert?

"No more than anywhere else. Spirituality is found in cities just as much as in deserts. It's true that the desert encourages meditation, because you have to pass the time. The desert can be terribly boring. A day spent on camelback is deadly dull. You can't read, you do four kilometres an hour and you have to ride for ten hours a day. That's a long time. You're very happy to stop in the evening. On the other hand there's the silence, the simplicity, the frugality. There are some things one can learn from the desert, but they don't directly relate to what people mean by spirituality in the religious sense."
We met him in Saint Malo Book festival the year before he died. He said than in his family there were three intermarriages :"look at me, here is the result"...and then explained the superiority of octopus ...the children enjoyed it so much..he laughed with them...My son said "I wish I had a science teacher like him".
Dear man, I was so sad when he died...he taught us so many things...even if my mum said: "yes but I think his wife was very brave and patient..."
have to go on telling you about him...

No comments: